Okay, it's been a few weeks since my embarrasing moment and I am reminded almost daily by my beautiful kiddos! At this point and even in the moment, I really could only laugh and make the best of it.... So since Braden reminded me of it again, I thought I'd share my story...
It's really not that unusual for me to push it to the limit when it comes to driving on empty. I have been known to push it a little too far but have always made it just in time to the gas station or my husband fills me up without me even asking (yes, he's that wonderful). Well, this day was one of those days. I was on empty but my focus was not really on my gas tank and with a stomach bug going around, I really wasn't feeling all that great either. Madelynn's teacher calls me at home to let me know she is sick and I should come and pick her up. Within in no time, I loaded up Kamryn and Braden and we are off to pick up Sissy at school.
You could tell in her eyes that she clearly wasn't feeling well and I was glad to get her home.
As we pulled into the garage, arriving safely on my almost empty tank, a good friend calls and needs me to pick up her daughter from school. I was home but told her it would not be a problem for me to go and pick her up.
So out of the drive way and back to the school I go... This time I pull into the nice long parent pick up line so we can now pick up Madelynn's friend and take her home with us. As we are sitting in the pick up line, waiting for it to move, I glanced down at the gas light. !GULP! I quickly say a prayer now realizing that I am going to be in JAM if I run out of gas...right now. And before I could finish my prayer...rattle rattle shake shake...and silence. The car was no longer running. The clock was ticking and it was almost 3:30pm and this line of cars would soon begin to move...blood rushes quickly to my face....I'm starting to sweat....I'm frantically dialing my husband...and he's NOT ANSWERING! I dial my friend's phone, yeah, the one I'm supposed to be helping out...and she didn't answer either! Oh Man! The cars begin to move...I roll down my window and begin to motion them to pass me and assure the kind passerbys that all is okay.
Madelynn, Braden and Kamryn keep asking Mommy what happened....
My husband finally sends me a quick text..."did someone just die?" Trying to figure out why I have been calling him repeatedly for the last 5 minutes...once he realized why I was so frantic with my calls...he walks away from a HUGE sale to save his CRAZY wife. ...I felt horrible and relieved in the same breath...My knight in shining armor was now heading my way to get me out of this mess...
A phone call is made to the front office letting them know who I'm supposed to pick up and that I am currently stuck in the line of cars... I tried not to say that I ran out of gas...but somehow they knew exactly what happened. Just my luck...
Once Madelynn's friend was in the car and the line of cars had dwindled away, the humor in it all began to shine through. Okay, I can sit here and be mad at my self for driving on fumes or I can laugh and learn my lesson. Lesson learned...I promise!
Humiliation turns into Laughter.
Yes, it was one of those moments where you look around and go, "WHO DOES THAT?!?!" and my husband is saying..."yep, that's my wife!" oh boy!
Well, since this wonderful moment of humiliation, my kiddos love to talk about it! Anytime we are driving and we come to a stop, Braden will ask, "Mommy, did you run out of gas again?"
Yesterday, after I said, "dadgumit" in the car, Braden speaks up, What's wrong Mommy, did you run out of gas?"
Today, as Braden, Kamryn and Madelynn are riding their scooters at the park, Braden gets off of his scooter and begins fiddling with his wheels. While looking underneath it as if something is wrong, he takes a deep breath and says, "Daddy, I think my scooter just ran out of gas!"
Ya gotta love that, huh!
LIVE LAUGH LOVE LISTEN & LEARN! and go fill up your gas tank!
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's so funny..I do the exact same thing! Last night we got in the car, that was empty of course, and Jeremy asked his usual question, "Megan, how LONG have you been driving on empty?" I just crinkled my nose, said a little prayer, and somehow we made it to the gas station in time. I thought I was the only one who did that!!
Post a Comment