Sunday, April 1, 2007

A Surprise It was...


His planning had started long before it was a thought in my mind. Each detail had been carefully assigned and planned out to perfection. Each family member was tuned in. Every friend knew what he had up his sleeve. Every eye was watching...every word was carefully said so that this 30th Surprise birthday celebration would be the biggest surprise ever!

And he pulled it off. Seamlessly.

I was absolutely clueless. I had absolutely no IDEA what he had been planning for over 4 months! I thought my sister was behind the now "fake" birthday celebration at Cheeseburgers in Paradise on April 14th! That was it and it all made sense to me. I figured Jack was helping Kristen with details of that party and I didn't ask any detailed questions.


Saturday began like any other Saturday. Jack actually let me sleep in a little as he got up with the kids and fed them breakfast. Adam dropped by to pick up his vaccuum cleaner that we had borrowed and he asked about my plans for the rest of the day. I smiled and told him that Brittny Lin and I were going to lunch and a movie! That she had wanted to take me out for my birthday. Like her brother, Brittny Lin is a planner. So getting an email a month before my birthday about her idea of taking me to lunch and a movie for my birthday was not out of character for Brittny Lin. She's just that thoughtful type of person.
Lunch was delicious at MiMi's Cafe and the movie was good! We are heading back to the house and talking about which of her CDs I'm going to borrow and other small talk. As we approach our house, she looks at me and says, "Oh, by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" I glance at her and then look toward my house to see a crowd of family and friends standing in the yard yelling "Surprise!!" My jaw hit the floor and stayed there for quite a while! I was almost paralyzed in shock as I tried to get out of the car. Emotions of joy, excitement overwhelmed my heart. I didn't know who to hug first. My daddy was standing close trying to catch my expression and my mom was the next! Standing at a slight distance, was the bright-eyed blondie...my good old friend from high school that I had not seen in a long time...standing there with her signature smile and contagious laugh: Allison is the greatest friend anyone could have! I was so excited to see her! DAVE!! is that you? another dear friend that I had not seen in ages....KERRI! and her beautiful family...Kerri and I have worked together for nearly 5 years and I think the world of her and her family. The special faces and dear friends...it just continued. I ran to my husband and hugged his neck so tight...my heart was overflowing with joy. I went around to each person standing outside and hugged their neck...each one stood there glowing with love and laughter. What a day to be surrounded by the people you love the most in life. As I hugged my sister Kristen, she guides me inside the house while saying, "this is just the beginning." I was guided into our living room to see a huge picture collage of my life. At the center of it all, was the sweet invitation that Jack had mailed out to all of my family and friends. It brought tears to my eyes...
I'm then guided to the kitchen/dining room to see the hysterical cake that Jack had made especially for me! I have not laughed so hard in my LIFE! There were two pictures on top of this cake. One picture was me at the age of 6 or 7 sitting behind my birthday cake at my roller rink birthday party. The next picture was of me jumping in the air doing a straddle cheer leading jump! My hair was flying as I was caught mid-air! It was absolutely hilarious! I can't believe I was ever able to jump like that. We shared lots of laughter over that picture!
And then there it was...The Scrapbook. Along with the invitation that Jack mailed out, he included a scrapbook page and asked family and friends to make a scrapbook page and share pictures, memories or stories about me. This scrapbook captured it all. My eyes welled up as I read the first scrap page from my mother in law, Diane. So sweet were the words she so poetically expressed...I was speechless. I flipped through the pages to see the pictures and pages from my friends and family that were not able to make it to the party. To see a scrapbook page that they had created just for me filled my heart with unspeakable joy.
Jack and his family prepared a delicious meal that everyone enjoyed. As everyone ate the delicious brisket, hot dogs, chicken, salad, potato salad, macaroni and cheese...my dad pulls out another surprise. He pops in a DVD of home videos he had recently converted from 8track to DVDs. The precious moments he captured of the day I was born and the way my older sister Kristen kissed and loved on me as an infant...were absolutely priceless. It was such a joy seeing those sweet moments shared between my sisters and me as babies. I am blessed with such loving and giving parents and their love radiated throughout these home movie memories.
I was speechless...and moved. Thanks to my husband, my wonderful family and dear friends, this surprise party was the best surprise EVER!
Absolute joy. Absolute surprise. I felt as if I was walking in a dream. I married my best friend and love of my life 5 1/2 years ago and to this day he continues to melt my heart and make me twirl up on cloud 9. I stood in amazement at all he did to make this day so very special for me. Jack, I love you with all my heart and I can't even begin to put into words what this day meant for me. Thank you for being you and showering me daily with your endless love. I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...you did an awesome job of describing the BEST surprise party ever!! Life if full of surprises and this one tops them all. I love you so much, Kayla Denise. mama